For the cake:
2 1/4 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup undiluted POG concentrate, thawed
(I used Hawaii's Own Guava Passion Orange frozen concentrate)
5 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
(optional) pink or red food coloring
8 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 13 x 9 x 2 pan.
2. Combine the flour, 2/3 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the oil, POG concentrate, egg yolks and vanilla.
4. Pour the flour mixture into the yolk mixture and mix until the batter is smooth. Add pink or red food coloring, if desired.
5. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar to the soft peak stage. Gradually add 1/2 cup of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
6. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup undiluted POG concentrate, thawed
1. In a large bowl, beat the cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in the POG concentrate.
2. Spread the frosting on your completely cooled cake. (You'll have frosting left over.)
For the topping:
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
2 Tablespoons water
1 1/4 cups undiluted POG concentrate, thawed
1. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water.
2. In a small saucepan, bring the POG concentrate to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and add the cornstarch mixture. Stir constantly until the topping thickens.
3. Remove your pan from the heat and allow the topping to cool before spreading it over the frosting.
4. Keep your cake in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve